Pretzel & Stouffer is proud to announce the following lawyers from our firm have been selected by the Leading Lawyers Advisory Board as Leading Lawyers for 2019:
Mary Cronin is an experienced trial attorney who has obtained favorable results for clients in high-stakes litigation matters. Mary is an aggressive litigator who has tried numerous cases throughout her career. Mary has exhibited her natural skills as a trial lawyer at a young age when she first-chaired a trial during her second year with the firm.
Mary argued and won a motion for summary judgment on behalf of a flight training company that trained a pilot of a Cessna 421B one month before the pilot crashed the airplane during a landing, killing four corporate executives on board. The Illinois Appellate Court upheld the court’s summary judgment ruling finding in a case of the first impression that Illinois should recognize the educational malpractice defense.
Mary was defense counsel in the Stand n’ Seal Spray-On Grout Sealer multi-district litigation where she handled all aspects of litigation and trial including traveling the country taking the depositions of over 190 plaintiffs and other witnesses. Following the resolution of all the cases, she assisted in obtaining a $30 million arbitration allowing her client to recover its attorneys’ fees, expenses and settlement amounts paid during the course of the underlying litigation.
Mary has handled a wide range of litigation matters and has a particular astute ability to defend individuals and corporations in cases involving claims of sexual battery and harassment.
Mary quickly gains the confidence of her clients through her confident yet professional demeanor and her ability to quickly identify a successful litigation strategy. Mary is a skilled negotiator and understands the importance of scoring points during discovery in order to obtain a favorable result during mediation.
- Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, J.D. 2005
- Marquette University, B.A. 2000
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- DRI Aviation Law Committee, Membership Chairperson
- Vice President, Fenwick Bar Association
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star 2014-2018
- Leading Lawyers 2019
- Philip H. Corboy Fellow Scholarship Recipient
- “Seventh Circuit Expands Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to Include Discrimination on the Basis of Sexual Orientation in Hively v. Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana.” IDC Quarterly Vol. 27, No. 3, Mary H. Cronin and Donald Patrick Eckler.
- “Barring Claims of Increased Risk of Identity Theft And/Or Identity Fraud.” IDC Defense Update. Vol. 17, No. 1.
- “Carrying the Burden of Proving a Claim of Discrimination Under the Pregnancy Discrimination Act Following the Supreme Court’s Decision in Young v. UPS.” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 3, Mary H. Cronin and Donald Patrick Eckler.
- “Defending Against Claims of Simulator or Instructor Liability in Aviation Cases.” DRI™ Skywritings, Vol. 15, Issue 2.
- “Multi-District Litigation: Technical and Practical Considerations.” Vol. 59, No. 4, FDCC Quarterly, Summer 2009. Also, FDCC Winter Meeting, February 2009.
- Speaking Engagements/Accredited CLE Presentations
- “First Steps: Preparing the Questionnaire.” Jury Selection: The Whole Nine Yards. Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Educations (“ILCLE”). June 5, 2015. Chicago, Illinois.
- “Defending Against Claims of Simulator or Instructor Liability in Aviation Cases.” DRI™ Annual Meeting, October 17, 2013. Chicago, Illinois.
- “Multi-District Litigation: Technical and Practical Considerations.” New York, New York. 2011.
Pretzel & Stouffer was a proud sponsor of the 105th Women’s Bar Association of Illinois Annual Installation Dinner. Congratulations to the new president of the WBAI, Corinne Heggie and the new members of the board. Pretzel & Stouffer attorneys, Mary Cronin, Sommer Luzynczyk, Kayla Condeni, Paula Villela, and Caitlin Donohue attended the event with Amy ...
Edward B. Ruff, III, Michael P. Turiello and Mary H. Cronin of Pretzel & Stouffer, Chartered obtained an award in the amount of $29,781,030 plus interest in favor the distributor of Stand ‘n Seal Spray-on Grout Sealer, Roanoke Companies Group, Inc. against the manufacturer Aerofil Technology, Inc. in an action seeking contribution an indemnity for settlement amounts paid on ...
Pretzel & Stouffer attorneys Edward B. Ruff, III and Mary H. Cronin obtained a defense trial victory for the estate of a cardiovascular surgeon in a case involving right leg paralysis as a result of an arterial venous fistula (“AV fistula”) repair surgery. The AV fistulas were created during a cardiac catheterization procedure performed by another doctor. Plaintiff alleged ...
On March 1, 2012, the Illinois Appellate Court affirmed summary judgment on behalf of a flight simulator company that allegedly trained a pilot-in-command of a Cessna 421B one month before the pilot crashed the airplane during an approach to Palwaukee Airport in Wheeling, Illinois, resulting in multiple fatalities. Pretzel & Stouffer trial attorneys Ed Ruff and Mary Cronin ...