Pretzel & Stouffer is proud to announce the following lawyers from our firm have been selected by the Leading Lawyers Advisory Board as Leading Lawyers for 2019:
John V. Smith II is Shareholder who has concentrated his practice in civil litigation for more than 35 years. He regularly represents litigants in both state and federal court where he has obtained a significant number of verdicts for his clients. He has been selected as an Illinois Superlawyer by his peers. His experience and reputation have earned him the AV (highest) rating from Martindale-Hubbell. John has been honored by recognition in Marquis Who’s Who in American Law.
He is a frequent lecturer and author on issues relating to trial tactics, civil litigation, environmental litigation, medical malpractice, and mediation. John has experience as a mediator as well as a board member of the International Academy of Dispute Resolution.
John has substantial experience in litigation involving medical malpractice defense, product liability including pharmaceutical products, and in business litigation.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Super Lawyers
- The Society of Trial Lawyers (Board of Directors)
- Defense Research Institute
- Handling Insurance Claims in Illinois, Professional Education System, Inc., 1985.
- Book Chapters
- Preparation of Defendant’s Case, Medical Hospital Negligence, Callaghan & Company, 1988.
- Institutional Negligence, Medical Malpractice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 1989, and Supplement, 1992.
- Hospital and Institutional Liability, Medical Malpractice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 1996.
- Successful Mediation: Civil Liability and Court’s Act 2004: Implications for Personal Injury Litigation First Law 2005
- “The Supreme Court Workload Problem: Current Congressional Reforms,” Journal of Legislation, 1982.
- “Physician-Patient Privilege: Interview Between Plaintiff’s Physicians and Defense Attorneys,” 66 Chicago Bar Journal 146. November 1984.
- John has served as a lecturer at Notre Dame Law School; John Marshall Law School; Trinity College (Dublin, Ireland); and the Chicago Bar Association
Pretzel and Stouffer partners, David Bennett, Robert Chemers, Suzanne Crowley, Matthew Egan, Patrick Healy, Brian Henry, James LaBarge, Edward Nielsen, Howard Pikel, Brian Rocca, Alan Schumacher, Brian Sundheim, John Smith, Richard Waris, and Timothy Weaver, were selected in 2019 by their peers as Preeminent for Highest level of Professional Excellence by Martindale-Hubbell.
The Appellate Court of Illinois has affirmed summary judgment for several doctors and professional corporations finding that the trial court properly found no genuine issue of material fact as to whether any of the defendants proximately caused the plaintiff’s injury. Robert Marc Chemers and Scott L. Howie of Pretzel & Stouffer prepared and defended the appellate brief on behalf ...
John Smith and Ryan Shupe recently secured a victory for their general surgery client in a case alleging medical malpractice. The plaintiff claimed that a surgical procedure and postoperative care caused the patient’s death. John and Ryan undertook discovery efforts for several years of litigation. These efforts included obtaining concessions from treating physicians and experts, ...
Pretzel & Stouffer attorneys, John Smith and Ryan Shupe, recently secured a victory for their general surgery client in a case alleging medical malpractice. The plaintiff claimed that a surgical procedure and postoperative care caused the patient’s death. John and Ryan undertook discovery efforts for several years of litigation. These efforts included obtaining concessions from ...