Pretzel and Stouffer partners, David Bennett, Robert Chemers, Suzanne Crowley, Matthew Egan, Patrick Healy, Brian Henry, James LaBarge, Edward Nielsen, Howard Pikel, Brian Rocca, Alan Schumacher, Brian Sundheim, John Smith, Richard Waris, and Timothy Weaver, were selected in 2019 by their peers as Preeminent for Highest level of Professional Excellence by Martindale-Hubbell.
Edward has tried to verdict more than 100 product liability, medical malpractice, Alpine skiing litigation, construction litigation, and vehicular matters. He has also represented physicians before the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
He has been a speaker at numerous Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC) and Association of Ski Defense Attorneys (ASDA) meetings. He has received the John Alan Appleman Award, given to the outstanding substantive section chair, from the FDCC for his work as Medical Malpractice section chair. He is a founding director of ASDA.
Edward began law school in 1967 but postponed his studies in 1968. From 1968—71, he served in Military Intelligence for the United States Army in Munich, Germany. Edward is fluent in German. He returned to law school after his service and received his law degree in 1973. He joined Pretzel & Stouffer that same year and has practiced there ever since. He has been a director in the firm since 1978.
Edward played football at Northern Illinois University and rugby with the Chicago Lions Rugby Football Club. He is an avid Alpine skier, golfer, and fitness enthusiast.
- Valparaiso University School of Law, J.D. 1971
- Northern Illinois University, B.A 1967
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- (Former Chair of the Medical Malpractice section for multiple terms)
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Society of Trial Lawyers
- Association of Ski Defense Attorneys (ASDA)
- Rated “Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell. This is the highest level of professional excellence an attorney can receive.
- Received the John Alan Appleman award from the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel. This award is given to the outstanding substantive section chair of the FDCC, and Edward received it for his work as the Medical Malpractice section chair.